View Single Post
Old 12-16-20, 03:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
To the OP (and serious). This is your first season of racing. Getting a fit is good, but ... after a season or two of riding harder than you have ever imagined, your riding style is going to change. Don't sell the house to get a bike that may well be an obsolete fit soon. Better by far - pick up an alloy Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc or a used bike that fits (or does with a stem swap) and is equipped with 105. Maybe splurge to basic Ultergra but that upgrade will not make a difference in your race placings. Have nice, but not super expensive race wheels and lesser training wheels.

The first year of racing is hard on bikes. I bought my race bike 2 months into my second season. I'm glad I didn't put it through my first. Next year, the bike you buy now will be an excellent criterium bike and you might splurge on lighter race wheels and train on your current race wheels.