Old 12-16-20, 05:40 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Year's End Comments on the State of Classic & Vintage Bicycles... What's your Take?

As another year winds down, another year unlike any we've experienced unless you've been around since 1918, it's once again time to look back on what was. Personally for me, the hobbies associated with C&V bicycles was, like most years, with it's highs and lows. Here's my view of the State of C&V, for what is worth... I was out on the paths and gravel roads much more this year, due to an unforeseen layoff. Thus, the frequency of bicycles crisscrossing my outings was up, but I DIDN'T REALLY SEE ANY MORE FREQUENCY OF C&V BICYCLES OUT THERE. What I did see more of was mostly families out on big-box bicycles... which is fine, for what it is. I had a friend that I would sometimes ride with, while trying to keep our distance... he exclusively rode his new mountain bike. His dad (in his seventies) finally abandon his 70's Schwinn coffee colored Varsity for his son's cast off mtb (it is like 5 years old). A fellow coworker abandon his efforts on an old Nishiki he had partially refurbished, he abandon his 10 year old hybrid, and treated himself to a new carbon fiber "graveler", which he now swears he won't go back to either of his other bicycles. On another front, my dealings with the local coop were scaled back... almost exclusively to donate parts. Again, as in the past, the coop manager stated that mtb's and hybrids are more in keeping with the desires of the majority of people seeking bicycles at the coop. So, all in all, in a year that saw a boom in bicycle sales and usage, C&V bicycles seemed very much outside of areas benefiting from said boom. What did you see this year from your viewpoint of your saddle?