View Single Post
Old 12-21-20, 12:48 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I've been using this thread as a motivator more than a place to report, but I have been keeping up with the promise I made to myself to do this. After a full year, I’ve come to more greatly appreciate how the 100-mile goal is somewhat arbitrary as it can mean different amounts and types of effort for different people. Riding 100 miles is very different for someone who lives in the snowy hills compared to someone who lives on the sunny coast for instance.

Here in rural New England, doing monthly centuries sometimes means keeping an eye on the weather forecast for days that are warm enough (at least in the upper 20’s Fahrenheit to start) and no snow or freezing rain. (BTW, It's gets into the mid/upper 90's with 90% humidity in the summer too -a 100 degree temperature range.)

And where I live, every ride promises fifty feet of climbing per-mile on average. That’s a minimum of 5,000 feet for a century. (November was 7,200 feet)

For these reasons, I prioritize comfort over speed. Although I own a Specialized Roubaix -arguably the perfect bike for long rides when pace is a priority- I do these centuries on my touring bike; a forty-plus pound Surly Disc Trucker with 26x2” tires, geared down like a tractor to 15.7 gear inches. (This 22x36 gearing has me moving about 2.6 mph at an 80 rpm cadence.)

I’ve spent a fair amount of time living on this bike in recent years and I find it’s comfortable for as many hours as there are in a day. I pack everything I think I’ll want for a 12+ hour outing. All the food I will need, 3.5 liters of water and a SteriPen to refill from streams, redundant lights, brick battery, gloves, hats, layers of clothing, music, etc.

It’s enjoyable in the same way a long road trip in the car is enjoyable. I sit, relax, and take in the scenery, not needing to be anywhere at any certain time, no computer, no emails, no one asking anything of me. Heaven.

October:
I procrastinated on my October century, and ended up doing it on the 31st It was 103 miles in temps below freezing. I didn’t leave my house until 11 am because I wanted it to warm up at least into the upper 20’s. It was 27 when I left. It got up to 34 briefly in the afternoon, but it was back into the low 20’s by the time I got home around 2:30am. It was 111 miles, 5,300 feet of climbing. I didn’t realize til I got home that I did not stop anywhere to go inside the whole time. I just ate and drank what I carried.

November:
I decided not to procrastinate on my November ride and managed to do it on a day with more agreeable temps. It was 112 miles with 7,200 feet of climbing with temps in the upper 40’s. It even nudged over 50 for a couple hours. Which, if you’re not from around here, means two light layers under a wind shell and you take your hat and gloves on and off thought out the day -not exactly warm, but plenty comfortable.

Peterborough, NH

December:

I closed the year with my December century a week ago on the 13th. It was the one day that was to get above freezing in a weeks-long stretch of our typical hard-frozen conditions. 103 miles, 6k feet of climbing in temps between 30 and 50 (we have little micro climates here in the rural New England)

I'm keeping the intention to do this going into the new year. It's a great way to maintain a base level of fitness and overall well being.
Likes For Brett A: