View Single Post
Old 12-26-20, 11:13 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Modern bicycle components/systems

I’ve come to the opinion that some of the technical ‘advances’ of certain bicycle components and systems may not necessarily be intended for us mere mortal bicyclists. They seem to need more “support” than the traditional counterparts they replace, which we’re not able to provided. I’m talking about components like disc brakes (cable and hydraulic), tubeless tires, and wireless/electronic shifting. Now to be fair...I’ve only used these systems and don’t own any of them. And I’m sure that when all of these components are working as designed that they’re superior to the traditional systems/components they replaced. I don’t have anything against them if you choose to use them. Maybe you have the resources and expertise to support them. And if you do choose to use any of them...that’s fine. More power to ya. I’m sure there are many who use these advanced components and have not had any trouble with them. My opinion is pretty much based on what I’ve read in cycling publications, here in the BFs, and witnessed personally. But to me it’s seems that there are more issues...mostly mechanical problems...with those systems. It seems they need more technical and financial support than the traditional systems they replaced. For example, there are more complaints about disc brakes and tubeless tires than you see for their traditional counterparts. I think these new components are better suited to the likes of a professional team with financial resources and trained mechanical experts available.

Dan