View Single Post
Old 12-26-20, 10:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I know this thread is going to spiral off, but before it does...

There was a time when your car engine was a little off, you could open the hood, pop off the distributor cap, file square and set the points, and rotate the distributor where it was just right.
Today you pop the hood to a sheet of plastic.
Do I want to go back? For everyday driving when I want to get somewhere... no way. For a hobby to tinker... yep.
I think it comes down to how you look at a bike. If it is a tool, you ride what is most efficient. If it is a pastime and something to tinker with, you ride what is easiest to tinker.
John
I had a good time learning how to change fuel injection systems to convert a car from non-turbo to turbo and keep things looking factory, now that the original fuel map software has been cracked I'd just make changes there and it would go quicker. Crack a book, watch videos and ask questions. Tinkering doesn't have to stop with the simple things, even a 3 piece head isn't that hard when you take your time.

Originally Posted by Koyote
I think the OP is actually just plain wrong on some of this. I don't mean that I have a philosophical argument, but rather that he is just plain wrong, at least about some of it.

For example: aside from the fact that my disc brakes rarely need any kind of maintenance, when they do need maintenance it is generally easier than maintaining rim brakes. For example, replacing disc brake pads is five minutes, tops, per caliper, and involves no fiddling -- just pull out a cotter pin, undo one screw, pull out the pads, shove in a new set and replace the screw and cotter pin; it takes me longer than that with rim brakes, since there is inevitably a lot of fiddling with the toe-in and alignment of the pads.

Some of the other examples seem just a matter of inexperience rather than empirical fact. My two tubeless-tired bikes have (so far) given me a total of 12,000 flat-free miles; the time spent in my garage, setting them up while drinking a beer or two, is well worth the time saved on the side of the road fixing punctures.
You forgot to spread the pistons, then remove pads. I'm reminded by this that the brakes on my mtb haven't been touched in 4 years which is impressive pad life since I'm over half way through my second set of tires. Personally, I've yet to see the advantage to tubeless but I hate the level of difficulty the standard has added to tire changes, but its still a basic process that can be done in the garage or driveway, so you're right on the OP is wrong. Even did my campy discs in the driveway so I could keep an eye on the kids, none of its complicated unless you want it to be.

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
" in the end it probably comes out no more than what folks spend on quality brake cables/housing over the course of 5 or so years."

Wow, that is quite a statement. Have been using the same cables and housing on my commuter bike for at least 10 years. My wife's bike has had the same cables and housing for 20 years. When I raced never once did a need to replace cables and housing arise in the 20 years I was active. Heck, even the Campy 11 speed on my daily rider has brake housing recycled from an old road bike that was at least 12 years old.
That's heading for the chintzy side of frugal. I've noticed that it can be hard to tell that braking and shifting has been degrading over time till new cables and housing are used. I probably do so every 5 or so years but 20 is a bit long.