Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Interesting interpretation, but not surprisingly at this point, I disagree with your assessment, and I think the Enve statements do contradict your perspective. Nowhere do they say to wrap multiple layers or continue to wrap to overcome fit problems. Nowhere do they say that tape is a functional part of the bead/rim interface. Further, they clearly state the importance of tight production tolerances, so it's ridiculous to think that mounding tape to unknown tolerances would make any sense.
They don't go into the subject of taping at all in THAT article, though if you look at their instructions in the link I provided, you can see them taping them from wall to wall. Again, they do not share your view that tape is a kludge or that it interferes with the bead seat.

You are right, they do not go into what to do if the fit is loose. They assume it is NOT lose. They are assuming it is a proper fit. And if it IS a proper fit, you would not need to add additional layers of tape OR do what you are talking about. So what is their recommended solution to tires that do not fit tightly? Don't use them, as they are dangerous. They even give a list of tires that are OK to use to avoid this problem.

In fact, they even show what happens if you DO manage to mount one that is fitting loosely: it blows off. So the takeaway from that (for me) is just because you CAN get it mounted with enough air, does not mean you should.

Look, I've taken this as far as I care to. I did not intend to start an argument, I was just trying to help, and it is coming from experience. I've have 2 friends with a tubeless wheel that kept burping or losing air, and in both cases, it took a compressor to re-seat them. In one case the rim was just taped over the holes, so we retaped up to the walls. In the other, we just used thicker tape. We re-taped them, I was able to seat with a floor pump, and the problem was solved.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-28-20 at 07:34 PM.