View Single Post
Old 12-29-20, 09:37 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
From other post after your days of splitting lanes and running red lights to the extreme, to your new fearful epiphany seems to stack the odds in your favor by only riding in the park. Sometimes the sky falls just as hard in the park as it does on the highway.
You must not drive either because the odds are not stacked in your favor with 30,000 deaths a year. And really; extreme exaggeration for more fear mongering from you "sun is a significant factor".
Is this Advocacy and Safety, or Ignore and Deny?

I have cycled across the USofA five times on a touring bike completely self contained. Since I am an early riser, I try to start my trips in the East and ride to the West. With my back to the sun I am easier to SEE, and the sun isn't aggravating me right in my face. The most miserable, dangerous trip I ever did was from New Orleans to the Georgia coast. I learned to get a later start pretty quickly AND wait until after rush hour near cities. If someone likes to lay in the tent until mid-day, perhaps they should consider touring West to East instead.

^^This is what I am talking about. Can anyone deny that being lit up by a sun to my back is as dangerous as having the sun in every motorist's sleepy eyes roaring up behind me? There are lots of things cyclists can do to tilt the field in their favor. But like most people operating vehicles they push off without concern and leave their safety in God's hands. I'm not here to tell anyone to stop cycling, just be smart about it and aware that vision is not a perfect sense. You can wear fifty blinkies and all the neon you want to, but NOT BEING THERE, in that risky situation, is the most foolproof method of not getting hozed from behind.

Advocacy and SAFETY.