Old 12-30-20, 11:13 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by aquafina View Post
Thanks for your detailed reply. The thing is I went to two bicycle shops and there is no bike for my size in display to try them out. They told me that I might have to wait if I want to check the bikes first or I can place a order for the bike I'd like to buy and they would deliver it in January. I don't want to regret later for buying a bike that is not suitable for me. Is Trek 520 a good choice or is there any other bike that you can suggest if possible for city roads and trails. I am 29 years old and I do not have any underlying health conditions other than my weight. Thanks again for your detailed reply. Cheers.
Well, with this COVID 19 business, I imagine shops have less inventory than they did before, and that is a problem. I like to at least try a bike out before buying, so I would suggest you keep looking until you find a shop with something in your size you can actually try out.

The Trek 520 has been around for a long time, and should work for you. It is built for loaded touring, so likely will handle your weight. Surly makes a bike called the Long Haul Trucker, or maybe the Disc Trucker which is similar. On the other hand, a loaded touring bike has a lot of things you might not need, like places to attach racks, fenders, and other things you might need for loaded touring. Other categories of bike are light touring/adventure bikes, hybrids, and even so called urban adventure bikes. https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/sequel.html The fact is, every major brand, and a few niche brands make something similar.
I just sent you a link for the Jamis Sequel. Generally, you want something with a sturdy frame, 9 to 11 speed gearing, and clearance for 32 mm to 40 mm tires to help soak up the bumps of urban riding. Whether you go flat bars or drop bars is up to you. A lot of touring bikes come with drop bars, which I like even if I don't ride low in the drops all that often. But you might do fine with flat bars if your rides are less than 30 miles.
Likes For MRT2: