Old 01-02-21, 12:00 AM
Summersnake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendations for a new-to-me bike locally? (51-53 cm, gravel tires road bike)

I'm looking to get back in the saddle this year after 20 years off, and I want to change up my equipment. My current bike is a Performance shop model ca 2000, aluminum frame, skinny tires, triple x 6 with a super short gear and a super tall gear and some random junk in the middle (just like I like it ;-)).

Problems: a couple things have kept me off the bike over the last 20 years... one is that I have clipins and it's a huge pain to carry an extra pair of shoes when commuting (easy fix - swap out the clipped pedals for toeclips). Second problem is i got really tired of sitting in the rain on the roadside replacing tubes. Basically I'm done being a "serious rider" and want to step it down to "casual rider."

Back then my priority was endurance and climbing, but now it's going to be probably a gentler campaign - longer commutes and a variety of recreational rides. I'd like to be able to handle trails as well as paved roads.

Based on a few test rides this week, I think this is what I want:
  • 51-53 inch frame, light as possible. (I rode a $4k Cervelo that was perfect, but the price tag!)
  • Gravel tires or hybrid tires that will take me everywhere
  • Pedal set that will give me 360 degree stroke efficiency without requiring dedicated shoes.

Here are the options I've considered:
  • Throw down between $2k and $4k for a brand new bike
  • See if can do the mods with my current frame (I suspect my back fork won't take that fat a wheel, but I haven't measured yet)
  • Find a cherry secondhand bike in the ~$1500 range

What do y'all think? Anyone experienced with any of the above options and have advice? Is there a PNW bike swap meet someplace? (Maybe uh... virtual at this point :-)).

Last edited by Summersnake; 01-02-21 at 12:05 AM.