Thread: Music Setups
View Single Post
Old 01-02-21, 01:32 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
A couple of weeks ago I got a little JVC Bluetooth speaker (SP-SA1BT-B) and have tried it on a few bike rides, walks and jogs, with the speaker in a pocket. Works fine. But it's not considered weather-resistant. But good enough to tempt me to get a better speaker.

I might try a weather-resistant JBL speaker next. Several friends have a couple of the popular JBL speakers, for the bottle cage or strapped to the stem or handlebar. I've noticed over the past few years that in casual group rides those speakers can be fairly loud (enough for nearby cyclists without annoying the entire neighborhood) without blocking ambient sounds and traffic.

I have some Bluetooth ear buds for walks/jogs, but I wouldn't wear them for bike rides. These have the flexible hooks around the ears and interfere with my helmets. I wouldn't be comfortable with ear buds that blocked ambient sounds for bike rides. There are some that claim to both reduce wind noise and enhance ambient sounds but those are pricey. A bottle cage speaker has the same benefit at a much lower price..
I had JBL Wind on my handlebars and then Sony SRS-XB12. Both were weather resistant but with qualifications. I.e., they would survive rain fine, but the rain affected sound quality. In Wind in particular, the water would clog the grille completely and the sound would get horrible. Overall, Sony was louder and its sound quality was better. The advantage of Wind was that it had a radio, but choosing the stations was a horror. The selection was automatic and depended on station strength. As times it jumped erratically and you hardly ever knew where you were on the dial. The problem with Sony was that its Bluetooth (?) was causing interferences in the surrounding when anything was connected to it by wire. The Sony was heavier and both tilted if you rode over a bump. I think that the JBL flew off its clumsy original mount before I replaced it. Overall they were too much hassle for me and the bone conduction headphones are a far superior solution.

I should also mention many Chinese speaker-equipped players for bikes on Amazon and elsewhere for around $20. They are weather resistant and come in mono and stereo. Their sound is not as good as for the similarly sized devices from reputable companies, but they are well more usable than expected for their price.