View Single Post
Old 01-04-21, 01:52 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
On Zwift, I find myself getting the most use out of the training plans. "Work on your weakness" is always sage advice. So, after a month or 2 screwing around & not getting as much out of it as the hype suggested I should, I figured the plan for me was to try Dirt Destroyer or failing that, quit my subscription & do something else. The decision to engage in structured training made a huge difference in the entire experience. The training plan also worked it's magic in my raw pedal torque (my weakness) & added a few tools to my skills toolbox I didn't know I needed.

In Zwift free ride, as well on dumb trainers of the past, I always found myself doing what some would call: "negative splits," though they really probably aren't in the strictest sense. I have a habit of increasing the power until failure with every passing lap/minute/sprint/hillclimb/whatever. It's probably not the healthiest way to train. I recognize I need structure.

So, after goofing around some more, I enrolled in another training program to provide the needed structure; Singletrack Slayer & again, it has made a huge difference! I'm a few weeks into this second training plan & took my gravel/cx bike to do 45 miles of mixed surface mountain biking & single track a few days ago. I owe the ability to spin uncomfortably high & low cadences & have the torque to back it up to the training plan. Where as before, even with my mountain bike I'd have been walking.

Zwift is a great substitute for bike riding, but it's not bike riding. It's exercise for fitness & training for bike riding.

To answer your question: About 60 to 90 minutes of structured work everyday or every other day as directed. More as a route, level up or challenge dictates.

Last edited by base2; 01-04-21 at 02:37 AM.