View Single Post
Old 01-04-21, 09:28 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I'm looking at two bikes, each with the same reg price, for light-duty (pea size, fairly smooth) gravel riding (80% of my riding would be road). Each has the same 37mm tires (both frames/forks can go up to 42mm). The aluminum bike has Apex 1x and is on sale for $300 less. The chromo-steel bike has Tiagra but with FSA crank. Both have hydro's. I realize a number of factors play into riding comfort, but I'm wondering how much stiffer/rigid is the aluminum over the steel? I've ridden both over the years, and even the aluminum I had wasn't that stiff. I'm sure this varies frame to frame for the same materials. I'm thinking of going with the aluminum (after I try it out for fit), and if I want more 'plush' I can add 42mm tires later, but if it's fine as is then I'll leave it be for now. I'm setting it up tubeless in any case. This is a second bike for occasional use, so I'm not going to over-think it, but it's really down to these two options (supply during Covid a problem) and I unfortunately can't give each a full outdoor test ride in the winter.

It’s almost like your asking what’s heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Not enough info.