Old 01-08-21, 11:13 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Having used both Peloton and a smart trainer, a Peloton will be able to give you probably more resistance than a smart trainer, not less. I think the risk is that you have too much resistance, not too little. However the resistance selection on the Peloton is pretty smooth and easy to fine tune while you're riding. I've never been a good sprinter, but it at least it has no trouble with my puny ~900W efforts.
All your smart trainer is doing is turning a virtual knob in the device to increase or decrease the magnetic resistance. I believer the new Peloton is able to do something similar so you can automatically follow the class resistance. Your smart trainer could have given you a physical knob too.

In Zwift riders can set their smart trainer to between 0%-100% difficultly for the applied resistance, so as long as it responds to the grade in zwift in a predictable way (steeper=harder, more steeper=more harder) the idea of 'calibrated' resistance is meaningless because everyone can choose how much resistance to simulate anyway. Zwift moves you along the course based your power output and in game bike you're guy is using, not on how much resistance its applying to your trainer.
wouldn't that have made it a dumb trainer?