View Single Post
Old 01-08-21, 12:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
If a speed sensor is paired with a GPS computer, which speed reading shows on the display?
On a Garmin, if there's an active speed sensor, the device will use that data instead of the GPS data.

As comment about using and needing speed sensors. I have a Garmin 1030, have had a 1000 and 810. I have 4 speed sensors on assorted wheels. I use them on my mt. bike, my gravel bike on 2 sets of wheels and on my road bike. The mt. bike so as to reduce errors when riding in wooded cover. Ditto the gravel bike. On my road bike it's to give me a more accurate speed at that moment, as there's always a few seconds delay of the speed generated with GPS only and that can be less then useful when trying to maintain a steady speed in a road paceline.

On my touring bike that I use to commute, I don't use a speed sensor as I really don't need accurate speed and I've found that the GPS only track is accurate as to location and overall distance, as compared to a track whose speed and distance were from a wheel with a speed sensor. In typical conditions, GPS units (IME) are as accurate as to distance as when using a speed sensor. When you get into heavy leaf coverage, canyons in Utah or NYC, or such, is when a speed sensor is useful.

Last edited by Steve B.; 01-08-21 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For Steve B.: