Huffawatha ratrod

Bikes: Hiawatha Arrow, 40's Monark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
getting reacquainted

Hello group.

I have been away for some time and I'm just getting back into the swing of things now that I've got time to work on my hobbies.

I have several "balloon tire" bikes, from late '30's (2 Western flyers, a Monark and a Hiawatha) to late '50's.

I'm "fairly" new to the sport of resto and redeeming "old" bikes that seem like few people care about anymore, but I've got the itch and the honeymoon is ON!

I'm slowly learning the nuanced differences between Monark, Colson and Western Flyer. I have one of each that I would swear were built on the same assembly line, maybe even on the same day.

If I switched the metal tags under the bottom bracket no one would ever know, they are that close.

I had to learn the sad way that a Hiawatha down tube has a wall thickness of about 3/8".

I love to work with my hands and mind. My back gave out on me so I sold my '58 Buick and my '78 Spitfire convertible and started buying vintage bicycles.

A lot easier, and if you don't get too carried away, cheaper too.

I hope to get to know and befriend fellow enthusiasts, in that we can share with and learn from each other.

Best of wishes to all in the new year.