Old 01-12-21, 07:33 AM
djb

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas View Post
A few comments which may be useful. We tour on tandem (26") with camping gear and wear is generally faster. For tours on mostly rail-trail, we use 2" Schwalbe Duremes. Strong, durable, wonderful for rail-trail surface and similar in weight to Supremes. For tours mostly on road for >1000 miles, 1.5" Marathon plus, because flats are a PITA on tour. We use 1.6" Supremes on day rides, a great relatively light tire, however, they do seem more prone to cuts than the M+ or Duremes. The rubber seems more supple on Supremes.
thanks, yes it would appear that 26in options are getting less and less from Schwalbe unfortunately, and the newest models arent avail in 26 now, given the general popularity of 27.5" bikes.
I just put my new pair of 1.6" on my rims and was rather disappointed in how narrow they are. I'll post another thread about this and rim width effect, but while marked as 1.6" 42mm, they measure only 36mm on my rims, which is a drag, but there you go.
re the ride, I very much have gotten hooked on the feel of how Supremes ride, but aware of the thin sidewalls and having to keep this in mind in terms of not riding up against stuff....