Old 01-12-21, 11:30 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Hopefully Schwalbe will support 26" for sometime, even if I have to order directly from Schwalbe. A couple of months back I noticed Marathon Almotion 26x2.15 (HS453, folding) were on sale, so bought a pair. Schwalbe is apparently discontinuing this make of Almotion in favor of a slightly knobby style (HS603) and not in 26". The HS453 are similar to the unavailable Duremes and like the large width for rail-trail (with Andra 35 rims). I hope that Schwalbe continues more styles in 26 than only M, M+. At least continue the Supremes, however, on extended road tours (hopefully this summer again), I am not sure about Supreme durability.
ya, I should have gooten some of those Almotions, they seem to be gone now on their site. I still may try to find some on some German websites.

re the Supreme durability---I can see a bit of concern if riding over really rocky roads, with big sharp stones/rocks, as the sidewall would be open to cuts more than a tough tire---BUT dont forget, I rode my set through half of Mexico and through Central America on two seperate trips, and ran over a crapload of glass and crap in places like Guatemala and Honduras (but was very good at stopping to brush out embedded stuff when I knew I had really ridden through bad looking stuff), so for me, they were really damn impressive.
Not getting a flat in 4500kms of Latin American roads was a big surprise to me, but I do acknowledge that all my riding life, I tend not to get flats, so rider behaviour plays a big part. Still the main body of the tread was really good with glass and stuff.
I'm a big fan, but just very aware of their weaknesses or what you shouldnt ride through, and or where you should be careful.

so it really depends on what you ride. I took a chance knowing that I'd be predominantly on paved and kinda "normal" reasonable dirt and gravel.