Old 01-12-21, 11:52 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: TWO Cinelli superstar disc with SRAM Force AXS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 200 Posts
The crank only weighs a little over 700 grams, without a power meter. The word proprietary seems to be used often and incorrectly. There are many different crank designs and none are proprietary, just different. Some think that any crank without a 24mm shimano standard spindle is proprietary. Not
so.

I have force axs on two bikes, but I want more range than sram offers. A 50/10 top gear is like a 55/11 and not what most riders need. I have used a Campy chorus 48/32 to get the same top gear as a 53/11, but I now use a shimano grx 46/30 crank with the chainline corrected with 2.5mm spacing washers. That crank is cheap, but heavy at 810 grams. I've never had a chain drop with either crank and I don't use a chain catcher.

I have set up the FD on four frames a total of six times and never had a problem. I don't use the wedge that sram suggests. I followed SRAM's video instructions. One thing to watch for is the FD moving out of parallel with the chainring when the mounting bolt is fully tightened. I only had about a 3mm clearance between the Campy crank arm and the screw at the tail end of the FD cage. After tightening, it touched the crankarm, so I had to loosen it and readjust. I had to use a flashlight to see the height window stamped in the cage.

I have also found that the new 10-36 cassette can be used with the standard RD, with a longer B screw. The wide RD does not have a longer cage or more wrap capacity. It has a longer main pivot mount to provide more clearance for the 36T sprocket.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-12-21 at 04:01 PM.