Old 01-13-21, 02:59 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
Whew, boy, I absolutely disagree with what you just said. The Bafangs have been around for awhile, the mounts are solid with well documented performance. The Bafangs have the added advantage is they can be removed returning everything to a normal bike, something that isn't possible with an integral frame mount motor. Your Bosch dies and you either replace it or scrap the bike.

Factory bikes often do have better thought out wire routing. But as far as waterproof and rugged, both systems use the same commercial connectors so no advantage there. Think modern automotive quality weatherproof connections. A touch of silicone on all connectors is a good practice no matter who installs the unit.
I have a Bafang BBS02. Using a standard 68mm bottom-bracket is bad practice. Even with downrating the motor, I still shredded the Aluminum bottom-bracket shell. It works fine on steel framed bikes, not on Al or CF. The bike frame needs an integrated way to resist torque, you can't get that with a DIY. The fact that Bafang doesn't even sell a decent torque arm is ridiculous.

And with connectors, a DIY user has to add additional solder or crimp joints, because a DIY user doesn't have the tools required to crimp a proper automotive connector.