Old 01-13-21, 03:31 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
Nothing extreme, just to stay in shape while indoors. My Trek Multitrack is the most comfortable so will use it; also has schwalbe marathon plus tire--smooth tread--do you think the trainer will wear that tire down? I don't need any extra features, main thing would be as close to actual riding; not a dragged feel etc. Also will be in my living room, I will put a mat down but nothing that might break and leak (I've read the fluid ones sometimes do?) Thanks!
This is where, for trainers, you get what you pay for. Most low-end on-wheel trainers will have more drag and less road feel. You almost have to shut your mind off on thinking this is like a road, and almost pretend it is some new-fangled resistance machine. Higher-up you go, the more road feel, including up to direct drive trainers. There are a few options:

(A) Ebay: there are some cheaper "dumb" direct-drive trainers. Elite and Lemond Evloution. Keep in mind, Lemond used a fan for resistance which is very loud. I would look for an Elite older model direct drive as an option for road feel, and will be cheaper or equivalent to mid-grade on-wheel trainer.
(B) Rollers: this is the old-school trainer. And it is the most road like there is, but to use it, you need to focus on balance and staying up-right. In addition, learning to get on and get going takes a little time. There are some rollers that have fork mounts in the front and rollers on the rear. It is around $500 after taxes (Feedback Sports Onmium) could be a good hybrid and the cost of a higher-end dumb "wheel-on trainer"). I might look into that if you just want to spin.
(C) Cheap On-Wheel Trainer: You can do this, but a lot of people will attest that 10 minutes into a poorly designed, drag laden trainer is like 20 hours on a bike. It is just a pain and a slog, and could end-up dissuading you from actually riding. Back in the day, these really were the tools for race warm-ups and winter training, where the motivation to maintain last season's fitness kept your a** in the saddle. It is why, for those just wanting indoor exercise, a cheap spin bike might be a more appropriate option.

Last edited by Het Volk; 01-13-21 at 03:42 PM.