Old 01-13-21, 03:56 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha View Post
Nothing extreme, just to stay in shape while indoors. My Trek Multitrack is the most comfortable so will use it; also has schwalbe marathon plus tire--smooth tread--do you think the trainer will wear that tire down? I don't need any extra features, main thing would be as close to actual riding; not a dragged feel etc. Also will be in my living room, I will put a mat down but nothing that might break and leak (I've read the fluid ones sometimes do?) Thanks!
I haven't heard of fluid trainers leaking, it seems unlikely. In general, fluid trainers are quieter and provide greater linear resistance than magnetic trainers.
Choosing a trainer depends a lot on why you want a trainer. For me, I use it a few times per week in late winter to begin to get in shape for the riding season. I will use it in the middle of winter for a cardio workout, but not as frequently and not as hard.

I have an older Nashbar fluid trainer that cost me about $125. It works OK, but the resistance is not consistent once it warms up. Since I only spend 30 to 45 minutes on it each time, it's pretty much all I need for now. I have looked at the Kinetic Road Machine Smart 2 Bike Trainer which would be my 1st choice if I were to buy one now (and I am interested because I'm less than thrilled with the one I have now), but it's not currently available... so maybe next year.

So, what are your goals for indoor cycling?