View Single Post
Old 01-14-21, 01:56 PM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I'm not sure how a saddle constructed like mine would snap the seat pan between the nose and the rear absent severe rust. I suppose it's possible that the seam in two-tone saddle allows water to accumulate at that point and the open cell foam padding held it there. I'd agree that fabricating a new cover is unlikely to be economical in any sense, but you may be able to repair the gouge with an adhesive or a backer and adhesive if it's through the woven support. I'm imagining that your gouge still has the vinyl hanging on, if it's missing entirely, then you'd be better off continuing the search for a donor cover.

Let me know if you want the rivets.
I've seen three versions of those two tone vinyl saddles, one has a metal pan, one has a plastic pan, and the third, older version has just springs and horsehair.
I've seen all three fail at the seam. The metal pan tends to crack between the left and right middle rivet holes right across the top slightly behind the seam in the vinyl. I've only found them long after they failed so I can't say whether the vinyl cracked first or because of the metal cracking. After 50+ years its hard to tell.