Old 01-15-21, 04:58 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Gman1958
Just curious whether all 1982 Specialized Sequoias had the frame designer autograph decal on the chainstay. My Sequoia was purchased in September 1982 and the frame serial number is
M2L00236. According to my research, the 2 indicates 1982. The date codes on the Suntour components indicate JAN '82.
Three logicians walked into a restaurant (this was obviously in the before times). The waitress asked them, "Do you all want water?"

The first logician said, "I don't know."
The second logician said, "I don't know."
The third logician said, "Yes, we all want water."

If either of the first two had not wanted water, they could have said, "No." They didn't have enough information to say "Yes."

It's possible that the signature decal came off of yours and brian3069's, but it may also be that not all Sequoias had this decal. Your serial number would indicate that it was made by Miki in November of 1982 according to @T-Mar 's Asian serial number guide, but if you have other evidence that it was purchased in September 1982 then the serial number obviously doesn't fit the supposed pattern. That's possible. The guide is deduced from available information and I haven't seen direct evidence that Miki made Sequoias. Mine has serial number M2F00147, which I have believed indicated June of 1982. The date codes on the components aren't necessarily relevant to the date the frame was made.

None of the 1982 Sequoias I've seen had water bottle bosses on the seat tube. That was introduced (at least in wide spread use) in 1983. Mine has the second set of bosses underneath the downtube. Otherwise, I have no reason to doubt that yours is an '82. The components match the parts spec for '83. The only parts spec I've seen for '82 was in an early magazine review, which listed Campagnolo derailleurs. I wouldn't put much stock in that though. If yours is an '82, it was designed by Tim Neenan. If you want the decal, it's available from VeloCals. At some point the Sequoia design was tweaked a bit by Jim Merz. I'm not sure when that happened or when they started putting Jim's name on the chainstays.

(Some previous owner added the mid-fork bosses on mine. They aren't original.)