Old 01-16-21, 08:59 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by chris1234 View Post
So I am looking for my first folding bike. Mainly for use on weekend trips and domestic vacations - so taking a train somewhere and then cycling (I have a Cross / Hybrid bike for day to day in the city. I'm living in Tokyo - so for 20 inch bikes (discounting Brompton) I was looking at Tern or Dahon (because of good availability to try in local shops, reasonable prices and good model range - Birdy or BikeFriday are a bit too expensive).
BTW, I read train companies in Japan are pretty strict when it comes to the size of bikes, hence the popular rinkô bikes. So you might want to double-check on its size folded. For that reason, 16" wheels (305mm; Brompton uses 349) might be a good idea.

Since it'll be used mostly in urban settings, if available, I would choose one with an internal gear hub instead of a derailleur.

Check out Dahon's K3, and its 14" wheels and… derailleur — At 84,150JPY (~USD$850), it's within your budget.: The 2021 model has a lug, so a Brompton bag can be used with the Minimod adapter:

Last edited by Winfried; 01-16-21 at 09:05 PM.