View Single Post
Old 01-19-21, 09:09 AM
2fat2fly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Oh man, a bucket of SA hubs! I know I'm short a single low gear pawl and spring, and probably the DS nut. I was going to hunt for another online, or at the co op.
There's no co ops around here that I know of, never heard of any such thing till I found this site.

The guy didn't have A bucket of SA hubs, he had a trailer full of buckets, barrels, boxes, etc. He had two full size, 40+ foot long tractor trailers full of old parts, plus a few outbuildings, his porch, basement, and a few old campers all packed with old bike stuff.
I answered an ad for a Hercules girls bike, which turned out to have a Shimano hub with wheels that likely came from a Huffy on it. When I said I needed rims, he dug around in the back of an old van and handed me the 40h Dunlop rim. He said he had whole wheel sets but he wanted $250 for a perfect pair. He said all the hubs in the buckets came from junk bikes, bent rims, or were missing parts. All were missing things like sprockets, bearing cones, axle nuts, etc but most were fairly clean looking. Most of the bikes he had that were whole had police auction tags on them from NYC with dates all in the early 70's. I didn't ask his age but I'd guess he was in his 90's. He knew what the parts were but didn't sound like he was ever a bike guy, just someone who bought and sold what he could. I saw no tools and all the hubs had cut spokes hanging on them. He had about 200 ladies frames laying in a pile outback, stripped bare, and about 30 or so mens frames in the one trailer that I saw. Plus a bunch of Schwinn, Columbia, and Ross bikes that were somewhat complete but rough.
He didn't seem to value the loose parts much, I got the rim and two AW hubs for $20, plus a bag full of other bits and pieces I found in the trailer. He did have a couple of really clean bikes but he said they weren't for sale. One an early 60's Robin Hood, another a later model Raleigh Sports, another a late 60's Sprite 5 speed, and a row of Schwinn three speeds that looked pretty decent.
Everything looks like its been sitting for 30+ years. At first he didn't want to open things up for me to look around, but eventually he let me walk through the two trailers and one camper. The trailers are organized, the camper and smaller buildings are a mess. Boxes piled to the ceiling, bikes, wheels, and old tires everywhere. It was impossible to even walk in most of them.
My take on it was that when he goes, someone is going to need a dozen big trucks and 50 people to move it all.
I hinted at a price for a bucket of hubs but he balked at the thought of letting that many go, he had to inspect and write down what I took as if he had some sort of inventory. I looked for another SW for parts but the only one I found was in another wheel and he said that wheel was part of a set and wanted $300 for the set.

How close to the date of bike production were these bikes? Could a 1960 model Dunelt have come with a 57 dated hub?
The fact that this was converted to a coaster brake makes me think this bike may have come with a problematic SW hub, it may well have been why the back wheel was changed. Also, is there any chance the bike is earlier? Or does all the Raleigh branded bits guarantee it being no earlier than 1960? Could it be newer?
Likes For 2fat2fly: