Old 01-23-21, 04:58 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, Faggin Matrix thingy

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
The Maillard 700 Helicomatic hubs are the top-end of Maillard's product line. Well-finished, ground and polished bearing races like Campagnolo Record. The Matrix rims are heat treated, hard anodized box-section rims. The only downside is the Helicomatic features, which have a poor reputation. But the 700 series hubs and freewheel were made to the highest specifications and should perform well with a modicum of care.
What was the idea behind the Helicomatic, anyway...Is it the force of pedaling that keeps it on, and so the mini-tool can take it off relatively easy? Not sure I have every seen one work up close.

On the other hand, I think I might have a Trek Elance wheel that might have that guy...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1988 Faggin Matrix with not Matrix tubes, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1982 Rossin Record, 1987 Trek Elance