Old 01-23-21, 09:15 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I held off getting an Ironman. But, considering myself a friend of Robbie, I succumbed to a frameset, back in '19. '89 Expert. Red/white fade.
I have never been a fan of red bikes. But that was what was available. I brought it home and built it up(imperfectly. It was the last of the framesets to come this way, and I used what I had around). It didn't live up to the hype, IMO, and it has been relegated to the frameset stash.
Now that Robbie has been perma-banned, I'm thinking about giving it another go. But I can't stand the paint job-- not just the red, none of it. The graphics just rub me the wrong way. I do like that it has a unicrown fork. With a re-paint, it stands a chance of being ridden.
I've come here to ask for your blessings.
That is all
Do it, do it.
Whatever makes you feel better about riding. I'm pretty conservative myself but Ironman allows me to let go sometimes. And when I run across a modern bike I actually kinda relish in the Ironmans non-conformity.
Personally, I feel the '86 and '87 masters fork are really cool. Also I feel the masters frames are better than the experts frame...there is a difference in lugs too. Get a master Ironman before you give up completely.
I Know Ironman aren't for everyone and it's not a magic carpet. But for the price it's hard to beat the ride. But You don't have to take my word for it, check this out.

Last edited by texaspandj; 01-23-21 at 09:22 PM.