View Single Post
Old 01-24-21, 12:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I’m glad to know that a saddle without cutouts has as much likelihood of suiting her as any other, since we aren’t inclined to “buy and try - repeat”. She’s being a good sport about all this (equipping for a bike tour with not much time on road frames, for long stretches of time) so I don’t want her to miss any chances to keep avoidable discomforts at bay. Thanks
Be aware - not being willing to try and return seats is a gamble. There is no seat that works for all. Your wife might be a good sport and be willing to put up with quite a lot to keep you happy and the marriage together. If this is being done on short notice so you can go on tour - well this might go along like peaches and cream or this might be the last tour you ever do together. A marriage counselor might suggest that you discuss this with her in advance and get her on board re: the risk.

I'm pretty sure the range of women's butts is roughly the same as the range of men's. In my racing days (before I aged and needed a cutout) I rode a plastic racing seat and it worked. Very, very well. Spent several years riding a high quality leather seat on my commuter. I thanked the thief who stole that wonderful bike for taking the seat! I rode a very long, hard and hilly ride with a racing cohort one day. He loved his Brooks Pro. Couldn't imagine how I could be comfortable. And likewise ...