View Single Post
Old 01-26-21, 07:08 PM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Cycle Oregon is terrific! I’ve ridden it a couple times with the last one in ‘19 where we did Crater Lake, but rained hard the first 3 days!?!? Really well organized and the entertainment is a nice bonus. Maybe it was ‘18 that it was canceled due to the fires? I think some of the guys at CO told me I should do Bike Maine.

2017 was cancelled due to the fires. 2018/2019 both happened. 2020...oh, well. We had a lot of fire smoke here (Forest Grove) around Cycle O time in both 2017 and 2020...and with COVID, 2019 and 2020 sort of blurred together for me. We did 1995 and 2003, both stunners. By 2003 they had added the tent porter service and the rest day mid-ride. For 1995, things were a bit tougher. Glad to have done both. 2003 included the Halfway to Wallowa Lake day, where the weather guy travelling (but not riding) with us assured us it wouldn't rain. I insisted my SO take her rain jacket. Started drizzling on the first long climb, and was pouring and 50F on the descent...water running across the road 1/2" deep, so had to ride the brakes all the way down to the lunch stop. 600 riders sagged out there. We both made it, but I was close to being swept off the route due to darkness. Back in those days, I was riding with Oakleys, and it was *really* dark when I reached the campground from my side of the glasses. Photo-gray Tifosis after that event.
Likes For rlmalisz: