Old 01-26-21, 10:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Tubulars have two pluses that are going to bring me back to using them. Glued properly, they do not come off. (But don't let the rim get hot enough to melt the glue you are using.) Blowouts, huge slashes - doesn't matter. Tire stays on and you can ride the bike to a stop from any speed, even braking some with the completely flatted tire. You will never see bare aluminum or carbon fiber rim on the road. Nobody talks about this but I promise you, that is one reason so many pros ride them. Job security.

The really good tubulars have a ride I call the magic carpet. For the same strength and durability, tubular rims weigh a lot less. Tubular tires grip better on hard corners. There is a feel to them that can only be approached with other types. (Like the real magic carpets, they are handmade. They all have quirks, usually a bump around the valve. Flip a magic carpet and look. You'll see a few less than pretty knots left by that ancient Persian. Ride 'em and all that disappears.)