Thread: Workout drinks
View Single Post
Old 01-27-21, 12:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Allow me to qualify that....

It's directed at folks starting out who think they need a bunch of nutrition to go do a 250KJ or 300KJ workout. The work load needs to be at least as great as the nutrition one used to fuel the work! If you down 300 calories of sport drink before and after a 250KJ workout..........yeah.......no bueno.

When the workout was 35min and you only burned 200KJ...............yeah, I really really hope you're not compensating for that with a bunch of extra calories. A single drink or bar probably totals 200KJ.

If I had to put it more bluntly: fuel like an athlete if you're training like an athlete...........don't fuel like one if you're not.

If a person is confused about whether they fall into "fitness" or "athlete" territory for that.............one major difference is having very specific performance goals. It's not a specific performance goal to just say "I'm going to ride my bike more" or "I want to lose a couple pounds". Specific is "I want to reach X.X w/kg for that mountain fondo" or "I want to hit 300w for 20min" or "I want to break 25min for a 5k run". Or, I want to achieve the Then, the nutrition is specifically meant to meet the demands of workouts that challenge the body to meet those goals.

It is my opinion that from a profit and marketing perspective, companies have intentionally blurred the line between the noble pursuit of general fitness...........and athletics. In order to sell more stuff.

There's a bargain basement level of KJ expenditure in an hour to necessitate that kind of nutrition. And it isn't 200 KJ in 30min of spinning.
If this spin bike has a power meter, presumably it will measure how many kj you've put into it, which is a decent approximation of how many kcal you've expended. If you are trying to maintain weight, replace those calories. If you're trying to lose weight, don't.
Likes For caloso: