burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Give it a rest. What’s the harm in saying you have feelings of elation when you’re on a traditional road bike and pass someone on a tri-specific bike? I’ve had those same feelings myself using a standard road bike with clip-on bars. And it doesn’t mean anything about being a good or bad swimmer. Just about all the triathlons I’ve ever been in have required age-group markings on your calf. When I’m well into the bike portion of the race and I pass someone with a marking from a younger age-group, on a more tri-specific bike than mine, who started the race in a wave minutes ahead of my age-group’s wave. Yeah...that’s a good feeling.

Dan
How would you feel about cheering yourself on about passing a 30 year younger tri-bike rider if you found out after the fact it was somebody like Ramon Arroyo who has MS? Who started off not being able to even walk 100 meters down the street before taking up triathlon? His is a unique story, but a story that likely plays out in at least a similar way in probably almost every larger multisport event.

There's a "based on a true story" movie on Netflix you should watch to help you understand why I don't think we should judge other's performances in a race to make yourselves feel better: 100 Metros. It's subtitled to English. Adapted story of Ramon Arroyo.

There's no shame in feeling pride in your performance. Just don't make it at the expense of others. Swim, bike, and run your race. I hope that bit of insight might at least make you all consider what I've got to say here.