Old 01-29-21, 04:00 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by justindublin
Hi all,

Hope you're all good, I'm about to purchase a DF4 for a focus on sprinting for 2021 season (assuming it happens!) but I'm getting mixed advice on sizing.

I'm 172cm, inseam of 80cm. Dolans size guide puts me on a 55cm frame, but after been burned by the PlanetX size guide in the past (frame was way too small) I'm wondering if I should go a size bigger.
Is this still a norm in the track world to go bigger? Have bike manufactures factored this in to their size guides?

My current track bike is a 51cm (379 reach) and feels really undersized, even after sticking a 120mm stem on to increase reach to 499 it still feels small.

My logic was to go a size bigger than Dolan suggests, a 57cm frame (434 reach) with a 100mm stem, brining reach to 534 total. A jump of 35mm from my current small setup. Lots of room to adjust up or down then.
Geometry wise stacks and seat tubes are identical, only the top tube changes between the 55 and 57.

I tried a DF4 before Christmas which had 3T bars and a 130mm stem on it which felt good, but nobody was too sure what size it was (55 or 57) and due to lockdown I don't have access to it now, I've a poor photo but I can't post it here yet because I haven't been a member long enough.

Am I overthinking this? Perhaps. Have I gotten sizing wrong before and don't wanna get screwed again? Absolutely.

Really appreciate any advice thank you.
It does seem that sizing has definitely been leaning toward going bigger for sprinting.

I'm 5'9" and I'm on a 57 DF4 with a 130mm and scattos. I could easily go bigger.. I'm not on a particularly big bike compared to some too. I have friends in the club who aren't much bigger than me that are on 59s and 61 fujis.

Only advice? Fling a leg over a DF4 you know the size of an try.