View Single Post
Old 02-01-21, 10:12 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Koolstop Brake Pads - I'm Impressed!

Upgraded the old stock pads on three different bikes: road with calipers, hardtail with linear pulls and a gravel fixie with calipers.

I tried a combination of their black (dry weather), dual compound (all weather) and salmon (wet) and they all outperform the stock pads in terms of modulation, stopping power and overall feel. The dual compound and salmon did very well in wet weather. I think it is a slightly softer material than the black as I picked up bits of road grit in the salmon when riding in the rain but not on the black for the dual compounds.

If I had to choose, I would stick with the dual compound or the salmon as I feel the stopping power is slightly better in the dry but definitely in the wet than the all blacks. The difference in dry weather performance is subtle so I don't think it matters too much. YMMV I know the salmon pads are highly regarded and think it is KoolStop's bread and butter.

They may wear faster than other pads, but at about $10 a set, I don't mind changing them more often to get better braking performance.

Oh, and they are silent unless you lock the wheel suddenly (and they WILL lock the wheels if you are too enthusiastic with your brake lever pressure).

I highly recommend Koolstops.

P.S. They have great customer service and are made in the USA if that is important to you. It is to me.

Last edited by Symox; 02-01-21 at 10:15 PM.