View Single Post
Old 02-02-21, 05:37 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by sthurman
I will definitely post images soon. Exactly, I disassembled and used evaporust and everything cleaned up VERY nicely with brass wire brush and brass wool. I am having difficulty figuring out what to do about paint chips/scratches and minor surface rust on the frame. I thought I'd just leave it as a vintage patina, but perhaps I should use something to touch up the paint (recommendations?). I don't want to strip and repaint because the stickers are irreplacable and are already in rough shape. I did find an automotive paint that appears to be a good match for Benotto gold - it's Toyota metallic champagne 583, but it may not be a perfect match as the paint on this bike is nearly 50 years old! Any tips or ideas? How about restoring chrome lugs and fork crowns to shine?
EDIT: This is the link to the site that led me to Toyota 583 color specifically: lecycleur.com/framesets/benotto-3000-restauration-1978-82/
Chrome on the frame I soak paper towels and wrap the area followed by some plastic wrap. Wish I knew how to paint. I usually just clean and wax.