Old 02-03-21, 06:07 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I didn't think I posted in this.......

80/20 is # sessions. 90/10 is minutes. It doesn't work for me as I use a Trainingpeaks 6 zone setup, not "three" with the breathing thing. If I HAD to pick what that would look like for me, I'd probably get the whole concept wrong and say my 90/10 on time in zones would split at Z3.

Either way, when folks talk about doing Z2 rides..............I feel like most folks I follow around town here don't really do Z2 rides. Either they're riding tempo for less time OR riding Z1 for a long time. So either too hard or too easy. But, that's an aside. I only mention that to say if you're going to ride Z2, don't waste time barely getting there. Go ahead and do it. Also for sweetspot, go ahead and do it. Don't do the cute little 10min sets for only 30min total. Accumulate an hour of sweetspot in one workout. 3x20, 2x30, 1x60....whatever.

If you've got 6hrs a week at 10% that would be only 36min of 360min a week at Z4 and up. That sounds a little weak for me. Not enough. And 6hrs a week is a very typical "time crunched" rider. My avg below was 72min per week Z4 and above. Literally double the 10%.

Last 28 days TP says for me (I didn't bother to make those total 100%, you get the idea):

Z1: 5hrs = 22% (true Z1 recovery from intervals usually, or warmup/cooldown)
Z2: 6.75hrs = 29% (most of this is upper Z2, not lower end)
Z3: 6.6hrs = 28.6% (most of this time is mid/upper Z3.........intentional sweetspot, not lower Z3)
Z4: 3hrs = 13% (intentional Z4 interval time)
Z5: 1.3hrs = 5.7% (intentional Z5 interval time)
Z6: 0.5hrs = 2.2% (screwing around chasing Zwift sprint jerseys and hammering randomly for fun)

Last 3 weeks is more volume than that. Week 1 in that 4 week figure was an "off week" with two rides.
So you actually do 51/49 with about 6 hours / week.

Which is what I think is right, if you do 20+ hours, yea sure, get that volume in by doing low intensity. But if you just do 6 hours spread over 3 sessions, I do not believe 2 low 1 high is better than 1 low 2 high. Given the hours that 2nd low session will be too short (I can't find the link right now but the guideline for time spent in different zones is what at least 2 or 2.5 hours in zone 2?).