Old 02-04-21, 02:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,013 Times in 3,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
There seems to be some misconception with what sort of stems work best according to your proportions.

Most bike manufacturers spec a specific type of stem length, usually on the longer side, more or less across the board. However they think you should fit on the bike I am sure is most often a case by case condition depending on rider proportions.

I am basing which length stem I require based achieving the right balance between leaning and an upright riding position, with the seat set backwards as far as reasonably possible for better fit and balance

I understand that people with longer torsos, particularly those of you who are more on the slender side will require a longer stem and maybe even drop bars, in more extreme circumstances.

Lets say that a 25-32mm, stem is the shortest you can go based on handlebar clamp diameter.

So 25-120mm length stems are the most common range, with either of those numbers being toward an extreme side for fit circumstances. So anything in between, namely 40-90mm is likely a releastic range for the majority of bikers.

Point is, by sliding your seat further back and trying out different length stems, again, provided that your frame is a suitable fit for you, this is certainly an experiment which can be very helpful with achieved a better fit.
Hmmm...It seems to me that, for over a century, people have been working on how humans can power a bicycle most efficiently. While I agree with your point that each rider should find a position that is most comfortable for their unique body, and some changes to parts may be required to do that, the current level sophistication of bicycle fitting technology really takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. The advice of just pushing your seat back, and experimenting with different stems is far too random and pretty ignorant.

Your advice also completely ignores the major factor that not everyone wants to ride the same way, and different fit types are better for different styles of riding. For example, my desire is to get down the road efficiently and quickly, so my fit is intended to not only to be biomechanically efficient for my pedaling action, but also minimize the forces I'm battling against - wind resistance, rolling resistance, and gravity. As such, based on the pics you have posted of you on your bike, our goals seem to be significantly different, and your advice is pretty irrelevant.