View Single Post
Old 02-05-21, 12:04 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I still use downtube shifters, but went to index from friction in 2015. I have used STI’s and they are better, but downtube can be fun. They work well with a triple crank and massive gear changes can be down quickly.

I changed to index for those times when transitioning from downhill to a quick out of the saddle uphill and hitting the downshift perfectly. As I’ve gotten older I need more of a downshift and I wanted the shift to be there.

What I find interesting about downtube shifters is the right or left hand shift technique. I learned to use my right hand for the right shifter and left for the left. But there are those that use their right for both and reach across.

John
Using one hand is quite good because you often want to go up into the big ring and down a couple of gears at the back at the same time. Or vice versa.

They have a lot to recommend them. Perfectly easy to use especially if indexed. If not indexed especially easy to adjust. Very easy to change cables. They can be disassembled by people who aren't Japanese robots with seven hands and don't cost 200 notes a pop if you fall off and get sand in them.
​​