Thread: I love Fat
View Single Post
Old 02-07-21, 06:49 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Went bike packing, or bike camping as I call it, for an overnighter this weekend on the Salsa Mukluk.

All in all we covered 39 miles and 7,000 feet of climbing, and one night.

This was the first ride on the Mukluk since I changed the drive train to a 1x9, 32t narrow-wide chainring and cobbled together 24-46 custom cassette, with a 22t chainring extra for a manual low range (no front derailleur).

It worked great. I employed the low range on one particularly steep section on the ride to help me spin up the grade. Pretty handy for those times when hauling camping gear.

Saw a couple of fat tired eBikes in the parking lot when we got back. eBikes emerging all over the place these days.

Was able to clear some clearly challenging and rugged sections of single track on fat tires where others choose to hike a bike. These are among the moments to savor on a fat bike ride.