Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Here's a 10 year old Slowtwitch thread you may enjoy. Has quite a few people in it who know what they're talking about, with quite a few who don't.

I don't know if this has the specific bit asgelle is referring to as I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but there's a lot in there that goes along with stuff that's been posted on this site for a few years. The stuff from Alex Simmons is very interesting.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...61939/?page=-1
Thanks for the thread link. I scrolled down it about halfway before I decided it was a waste of time. It's just people arguing opinions, no facts. I saw two links to papers. One was a 404 and the other completely incomprehensible and having zero to to with cycling, plus the exercise being discussed is useless except for tendon rehab anyway.

I see the same thing here, too many people arguing opinion, those opinions formed 20 years ago before much at all was known about how to apply strength training to cycling. It's a niche subject, seldom studied, and even more seldom studied without researcher bias. What rather gripes at me is the people arguing the other side simply don't read the papers to which I publish links. That makes them not useful as interlocutors. It's like a parental ego relationship where that parent says, "I know how the world works and you don't, so do what I say." Except that's how it worked 20 years ago. Not that way anymore, folks. If you don't keep up, you fall behind. On top of that, you sneer at a penniless rider who has figured it out, has applied the science and found that it worked as predicted even though he doesn't have a gym or the latest equipment and makes do with what he has. That kind of nonsense just drive me nuts.

If anyone wants to discuss strength work further, I'll only discuss this with people who give enough of a crap to actually do the work. I've spent a couple decades studying and applying what I learned. It works like a charm if you do it right.