View Single Post
Old 02-09-21, 09:53 AM
yrrej

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jleeg
These rambling obsessive musings are not foreign here but that doesn’t make them any less self indulgent. Fair warning.

I’m 69, but will likely be 70 on arrival if I go for it.

I’m a roadie. I might ride the gravel grinder when snow melt and cinders are to be encountered on winter roads here in PA, but my steady companion is a 28 yr old Merlin Titanium. I bought it new with an aluminum fork that I thought I’d upgrade to carbon fiber but never did. The original Campy Ergo 8 speed was replaced with Campy Chorus 12 that I’m very happy with. I love this bike and from what a I can tell, I’m getting a great ride (not having ridden a modern road bike I don’t have a frame of reference...if that matters).

Me. Cycling was it for me until I met flyfishing. But after many year’s hiatus I am back to riding 6 days most weeks. I ride outside as often as possible (22 degrees is my coldest so far) and ride on a Wahoo when dark (still working) or in inclement weather. I’m averaging 165 mi/week, more in warm seasons. I love big hills and for the most part a B or B+ rider. Once a mediocre racer.

My dilemma. I’m limited to 23mm tires due to frame spacing...front and rear. Winter shifting is difficult when my fingers go numb. The only electronic shift that is compatible with this bike is sram Bluetooth, so that upgrade is expensively available. I suppose electric shifting is easier but I’m not educated enough about that to be certain. The aluminum fork, the weak part of the bike....well one mechanic marveled at its longevity. And what about the inability to run disc brakes? Clearly, I can continue to ride this loving companion (ok, it is a heartless object) until one of us wears out or breaks down. Or I can have stainless steel Tommassini built with disc brake e shifters.... and shed a little weight in the process (dropping from 185 to 149 this year was the better way). Really don’t have a grail bike in mind...a few dance through my head at times.

A new bike is not a financial reach but nor is it a charitable donation or a gift to my wife. How many years can I get out of it? Will a modern bike make riding safer, easier, or it’s rider happier?

I know, to be blessed with dilemma of this magnitude, shame on me. Best to all.
Well I am over eighty years old and bought a Vado SL 5.0 last September and already have over thousand miles on the rascal, go for it....
Likes For yrrej: