View Single Post
Old 02-09-21, 03:55 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
We see a lot of ads for winter cycling clothes and we may have seen videos and photos of pros/amateurs out riding in the winter but I wonder if that gear (some expensive stuff from Castelli and other high end brands) is really good enough for the deep winters we see here in Canada and the northern US states.

Any opinions from anyone who has or knows of someone who has some of these types of winter cycling clothes?
I ride through Minnesota winters, riding in temps down to -30F. I have some 'brands' I go to:

45NRTH - Minneapolis-based company that focused purely on winter biking
Pearl Izumi - I got started with PI winter gear buy getting some stuff on deep discount and I had little faith - that first pair of winter tights are still mix after 6-8 years of riding through the worst possible conditions.
SmartWool (and Merino wool in general)
Snowboard stuff - I was involved in snowboarding as coach/competitor/parent for many years and have a bunch of stuff for winter.

This was my gear for a 90-minute -28F ride, nearly everything you see fits one of the above: