Old 02-09-21, 04:56 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Don't you think this is biased? Shifting goalposts?

Then you might as well call the endless base miles "general fitness", too, given as the season starts volume goes down and intensity goes up. You said above something along the lines of "what do the pros do", well, apparently they do do gym, at least some. This isn't a question of "should you do squats the day before a TT to get faster", but whether you should do gym at all.

Nor does your argument "the question is not what is your max power but how long can you hold x power" necessarily imply that doing gym isn't beneficial in that regard. I am not saying it is. I am wondering if it is. [One idea being that if you can lift 100kg then 50kg will feel easy. But if you can only lift 60kg then 50kg will feel a lot harder. Obviously at some point in cycling endurance becomes dominant but no one here has linked a study or a physiological analysis of when this happens and how and to what extent or if strength training in the off season can keep your legs strong]. But you, despite of any real evidence, seem pretty set that the answer is no. That all you need is bike work. And yet when giving your reason for that (what pros do) and I give you a counter example you shift it to "general fitness".
Not in the least. It's general fitness. It's not specific to his performance objectives, which is why he doesn't do it in June.

I don't think your weight lifting comparison is applicable. If I can do 500 watts for 3 minutes, that doesn't mean 500 for 2 minutes hurts less, or 450 for 3 minutes hurts less. It just means I'm probably more capable of doing it more often.

Pros don't do it during the season. That's specific fitness. There's a reason for that.

Your question is wrong, anyway, and I've stated multiple times what my exact assertions are: that being that on-the-bike training is more beneficial for your riding than gym training. And to bring that back to this particular tangent, on-the-bike training is specific training which is specific to your performance objectives.