View Single Post
Old 02-10-21, 11:56 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is hard to find a quality bike under 500 that isn't a single speed or something magical that is used but in decent shape. Gazelle makes good quality bikes and real Dutch bikes since the late 1800s. Not a cheap bike but if you must have a Dutch bike that is the Dutch bike to have. However if you are looking for a good step through bike the Specialized Roll Elite step through is an excellent option and much lighter and probably one of the lightest bikes in that class. It is much more of a pleasure to ride with wide tires and a light frame and the elite has decent reliable parts that will last a good long time.
The Roll Elite is a cool style, but it’s $900. The regular Roll is priced right at $535, but its massively heavy at 30.6lbs in Small and without fenders, rack, chainguard or anything. Weight isn’t important if you don’t have to climb hills or carry the bike up into the house, into an apartment or hoist it up onto a car rack, but it’s worth being aware of weight to match it to your needs.

This past November I got a $699 step-thru Public C9 Aluminum for my wife, which is just 25lbs (also w/o fenders/rackchainguard). I’m sure fitted with a rack and shopping basket it would still be well under 30lbs.

https://publicbikes.com/collections/...ucts/public-c9
Likes For chaadster: