Old 02-11-21, 03:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Strava is just social media with more data and less drama. Some of my friends post everything they do. I might offer a kudo or comment if I know they're gong through some difficulties, whether recovering from injuries or depression, etc. If they're engaged in some physical activities, that's a good thing so I'm happy to chip in an attaboy.

Heck, when my mom was alive, a walk to and from the mailbox was a big deal. Between her arthritis, scoliosis, multiple joint replacement surgeries, etc., that 200 yard round trip was quite a challenge.

In that respect it's a lot like Facebook, and most of my meatspace friends log/humblebrag to both Strava and FB. That's fine with me. I figure the whole point of Strava is to encourage and challenge each other. If not, there are other apps.

I walk a lot for errands but rarely post those publicly, although I do log them to remind myself whether I need a rest day before a hard workout. But I don't need kudos for a one mile walk to fetch cat food. If it's a one mile run to tackle a PR, sure, I'll post that. Occasionally I'll combine errands and long walks, so if my shopping trip involves a 5-10 mile walk, sure, I'll log that. Walking earned newfound respect for me a couple of years ago after I was hit by a car and off the bike for a few months. Took a lot of walking and physical therapy to manage walks longer than 2-3 miles without lower back and hip pain. Now I routinely walk or jog 3-7 miles a couplafew times a week, but it took a lotta work to get to that point.

Map My (Run/Walk/Ride), etc., might better suit folks who are less interested in miscellaneous physical activities, and it seems to discourage sharing to Strava by making the process as opaque as possible. But I noticed when I re-installed Map My Walk/Run this week after a couple of years of not using the apps, they also seem to be encouraging a bit more of a social media vibe.

The Cyclemeter app has zero social media connections, no community, nothing. Just a serious, configurable app. It can sync activities pretty easily to Strava, for folks who want that. And Cyclemeter may be among the most private apps. All data is stored on the user's device, nowhere else unless the user specifically chooses to share/upload it, according to the developers.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-11-21 at 03:41 AM.