View Single Post
Old 02-11-21, 05:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Don't be afraid of using some leather treatment on the saddle. I prefer mink oil but others seem to like proofide better. At the risk of starting another saddle argument, I believe that you want the leather to be pliable. The only saddle failures I've had were from saddles that were untreated which then became hard as a result and the leather cracked. A well treated saddle will be both pliable and strong though some will say otherwise. My most comfortable saddle is an older Brooks, probably from the 50's which had been well cared for originally. It is both supple and strong and is expected to continue for many years. I have a newer Brooks Swift/Ti that is almost as good with 25,000+ miles on it, soft, supple and not stretched even after that usage. I am a 200 pound rider so the saddle does get a work out!
One caveat though is that older Brooks leather is probably of better quality than newer versions, and "knock off" brands often use even lesser quality, so you may not get the same result. Still it is worth the effort. Good luck!
Oh come on, we all love a good saddle argument, almost as much as we love a fixed cup removal argument.
Likes For merziac: