Old 02-12-21, 06:06 AM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Panasonics rule!!!

Remember back in the late 80s early 90s Panasonic came out with a bicycle where you went into a shop, they put you on a machine which was like a slide rule and when you're all dialed in on this machine... hit "enter" and the measurements went to the factory in Japan ( I assume), and within a few weeks you received a Panasonic bicycle at your doorstep that was custom fit to your measurements that we're taken on their customized sizing apparatus.

I always thought it was a really cool idea, I think the press at the time did too but it never really took off among the general public and Panasonic still might be in business but I haven't seen a shop and years so I'm not really certain what their business model looks like today.

If you recall in the late 80s early 90s is when a lot of organizations and corporations and the government and the military all started really looking at quality management and this is one of the examples I recall hearing about denoting efficiency and quality management.