ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think the shop owner I ride with occasionally mentioned $20/wheel. I don't know anyone who actually pays a shop to do this but apparently it's not unusual.
I had never needed a shop to mount tires for me in 20+ years of riding, but the tire / rim combo I just got proved to be difficult. I could have fought it and probably won, but decided going to my LBS rather than risking any damage to the rims was worth it. I did not buy my most recent bike from this shop (they are having supply constraints and I found a bike in my size that I wanted at a friend's shop in another town). In the past, they've done small things for free on bikes I've purchased from them. I expected to pay for this - it was $20 / rim. I could have fought with it longer, but the price was worth it to me rather than battling it for a few hours. Talked to the person that did the mounting - she showed me the crank brother levers she used. She might have been trying to make me feel better, but noted that these were a particular pain in the ass. I'll be getting a set of the levers she used for the future. I also don't mind paying this shop for service on occasion because a) they do good work; b) humor me when I have questions; and c) I like their shop.

I should note - I mounted the rotors and cassette before taking it in - that took all of five minutes.

edited for a really weird word substitution.

Last edited by ericcox; 02-14-21 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For ericcox: