View Single Post
Old 02-14-21, 01:25 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Well, how about bikes with aero slammed down cockpit with riders touching bars with their jaws, barely squinting with their eyes up to see where they are going... that position is also a safety hazard. Riding like that also makes it hard to respond to a sudden situation developing on the road. The only safe position on a bike is a nice upright one as we older farts are riding like and it should be put into racing rules for safety's sake.

If the young budding racer wannabees see those aero tuck positions of the pro racers, they will try to emulate it in the amateur setting where it is doubly dangerous and get hurt. Only hope is for the next generation of young cyclists who will never see those bad examples in races because it will have been banned before their time and they will have known nothing else...

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Young riders have always copied the pros and always will. Some adolescents and teens bombing hills on top tubes will end up in ERs (or worse). Taking this away won't stop those now who have already seen the pros doing it but the kids not yet born will grow up where it is banned by all racing authorities and they have known nothing else.
Yours is the world in which I wouldn't like to live, where powers that be outlaw behavior that doesn't force anyone to anything but just gives example for others to follow. I believe you ride fixie bikes, right? Well, those should be banned by your example, they are road safety hazard, period, and give bad example to others who are unsuspecting to the undisputable hazard that they are! There are no two ways about it.

It might interest you that I did get a fixie bike once because I saw it when visiting NYC in 1980s when most if not all town bike couriers rode fixie bikes and many without any brakes. Seeing that example and being impressionable young in those days, I also got me a fixie and to boot, without any brakes. Nobody even warned me about fixie hazard regarding its kicking horse like behavior, in those days there were no forums to plumb more experienced bikers. And on my next NYC visit, I spent days pleasure riding like a dare devil in downtown Manhattan streets in traffic, ignoring red lights as was a fashion, thing to do in those days.

In the impoverished world of yours, in which hazardous behaviors would be ruled out, or even outlawed, like smoking is banned from movies (I think, from advertising anyway) because it gives bad example to young ones unsuspecting of its health hazards, would the life be as worth living as it was for me with those 'bad examples' I was not shielded from? Mind you, I never smoked even if that was a thing to do still when I was growing up, my father and all my brothers smoking to boot? You see, one is free to choose to follow the examples that life offers and it is, or should be up to anyone to choose.

Last edited by vane171; 02-14-21 at 01:31 PM.