Old 02-16-21, 11:28 AM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Almost all bikes are out of stock except for real high-end stuff and real low-end stuff you would find at Walmart. Not sure when supplies will be coming back in, once the covid thing settles down I would think production would start to ramp up, my only fear is that when it does ramp up will there be an initial slam into the market place of bikes made half-ass just to rush them to market? I think it might be wise to be on the waiting list that's for sure.
And this is the reason I've pretty much resigned myself to planning on making various upgrades and improvements to my small fleet of mostly older bikes -- some steel, some aluminum.

My main issues is I'm planning on gradually ramping up to doing progressively longer tours. I'm a big dude, 6'4", 260, and naturally most of my rides, save for my single speed and my mountain bikes, just don't have the clearance to put on the width of tire I should be using for that sorta stuff.

Seriously considering putting non knobbies and a trekking bar on one of the mountain bikes and trying that out for some of the trips. But I think I might do the C & O on my single.